How to Download Pictures From Wikimedia Commons
There are many excellent sources of photos on the Internet that are free to use in your articles. One of the best organized sources is Wikimedia Commons.
- Registration Required
- Select the category
- Step-By-Step Download Procedure
- Link to the Photos in the Text
The media files on Wikimedia Commons are all protected under the Creative Commons License rules and are royalty free. You can use them in your creative works without permission from the Creative Commons License holder. You do need to register for a Wikimedia Commons account to use the service. The happy news is that registration will take less than five minutes and registration is free. Once you have created a free account, log in and start downloading pictures to your hearts content. Here is how to do it.
Select the category
Once you have logged in to your account, select the category of pictures that you want from the category pane. For the sake of discussion, if you are doing an article on food, you might select “Food”. By clicking on “Food” you will be taken to the Foods Subcategory Menu shown here.
Select “Close-Ups of Food”.
For this tutorial, I have selected the photo “Close-Up of an Oreo...” by left clicking on it twice.
Step-By-Step Download Procedure
- Set up a file folder on your computer to save the downloaded pictures to.
- Select the size you want to download the picture at. I prefer the 800 Pixel size for use online. Remember that many people still use dial-up so the smaller picture files will load quicker.
- Right click on the image and select “Save image as”. Navigate to the file folder that you created and click on save,
- Up-Load Picture to Article Using Picture Tool on Pub Tool.
Link to the Photos in the Text
- Select the text that you want to use to link to the text. We will use a close look at the Oreo cooky here.
- Copy the URL for the picture from the “Download this Picture” menu.
- Select the link tool from the Wikinut pub tool's tool bar.
- Select “Internet URL” and paste in the URL copied from the “Download This Picture” menu.
- Click on “Check URL”
- Click on “Insert URL”