Leek, Rice and Carrot Dish
Recipe for a delicious meal or a side dish. This is a vegetarian meal which is low on cost and high on taste.
This is a delicious dish served hot or cold. In addition it can be enjoyed as a main meal or as a side to any other dish.
Preparation time: about 10 minutes
Cooking time: about 1 hour.
1/2 cup of rice
1. Thoroughly wash leeks and slice into rings (about 1cm).
2. Wash and slice carrots thinly (slicing section of grater is good for this).
3. Cover the base of a medium sized saucepan with olive oil.
4. Add leeks and cook on low heat until the leek softens and changes colour slightly, stirring occasionally.
5. Add carrots and stir.
6. Add rice and stir.
7. Add enough water to cover the ingredients.
8. Add tomato paste and stir through.
9. Add salt to taste.
10. Allow to simmer until the rice has cooked and the water has evaporated.
A squeeze of lemon juice adds a nice flavour to this dish once cooked.