Plants That Are Poisonous To Our Pets
There are a lot of beautiful plants that we have in our pretty gardens. Some may be harmful, so a keen eye is need.
Plants That Are Poisonous to Our Pets
Spring is now upon us and we begin to venture out into the garden to potter and start our planting regime. We see that the tulips are about to burst and the crocuses are in bloom. What a wonderful time of year. But we must not forget that there are some plants that are toxic to our pets and can cause harm to them if we do not take care.
Lilies - Plants of the lily variety are very poisonous to cats. Even small amounts of the lily may cause serious kidney damage.
Tulips - The toxic part of this plant is the bulb, which can cause drooling, depression of the central nervous system, gastrointestinal irritation, heart problems and convulsions (fitting).
Azalea - The poisons in azalea plants can be extremely severe and may cause drooling, diarrhea, vomiting, weakened central nervous system and depression, in some cases the possibility of coma or death.
Oleander - All portions of this plant are toxic and may cause gastrointestinal irritation, hypothermia, cardiac problems and possibly death.
Cyclamen - The most poisonous part of the Cyclamen is to be found in the root. Ingestion of the plant may cause severe vomiting and gastrointestinal irritation. In some cases death has been known.
Buttercup - This wildflower and garden herb is poisonous in its entirety but mainly in the leaves.
Cowslip - Is a wildflower found mainly in the country lanes, but it does sometimes pop up in our gardens. The entire plant is poisonous, especially the leaves and stem.
Daffodil – The bulbs of our favored Daffodil are poisonous.
Laburum - Is an ornamental plant whose seeds, pods and flowers can be poisonous.
Lupines - Is a shrub whose seeds and pods are toxic to our pets.
Wisteria - Is an ornamental plant that contains poisonous seeds and pods.
If you are worried that your pet may have ingested any toxic plant, then please call your Veterinary Practice as soon as possible for advice. It would be ideal if you know what plant has been ingested when you call them.