Recipe for Apfelstrudel (from the movie "Inglorious Basterds")
A recipe for the delicious Austrian pastry apfelstrudel, with apple, raisins, cinnamon and whipped cream on the top.
Apfelstrudel (as seen in Inglorious Basterds)
"Yes, two strudels. One for myself and one for the mademoiselle" Hans Landa
1 pack of fresh thin dough
*) Available in ethnic stores, either as Strudeldej (Austrian) or Yufka or Fillo (Oriental).
1 kg. apples
100 g. butter
100 g. fine breadcrumbs
100 g. sugar
50 g. raisins
50 g. almonds
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp. cinnamon.
100 g. melted butter
1. Melt the butter in a pot, pour in the bread crumbs and fry it lightly. Cool it.
2. Blanch, slip and grind the almonds coarsely.
3. Peel apples, remove the middle and cut into very thin slices (use. Vegetable cutting machine).
4. Mix the toasted bread crumbs and the almonds, apples, sugar, raisins, lemon zest and cinnamon in a bowl.
5. Grease a large baking pan with butter.
6. Place a large piece of moist, damp cloth on the table (larger than the pieces of dough) so that it lay a few centimeters beyond the edge of the table. Add a piece of dough so that a narrow edge of the dough reaches the edge of the table. Brush with smelted butter. Put another piece of dough accurately on the first. Brush with melted butter. Put a strip of filling on the dough near the farthest edge, but leave the 5 cm of the left and right ends. Roll the dough together using the cloth. When the filling is rolled into the dough (before the roll is finished), fold the side edges inwards. Roll all the way to the table edge. The dough is now closed at both ends. Hold the large baking pan close to the table and very carefully roll it into the large baking pan. Roll it so that the dough edge faces down and move it so there is room for the next roll of strudel. Brush the strudel with butter.
7. Repeat the whole operation until the pan is filled with rolls of strudel with a little space in between (2 - 3 rolls).
8. Preheat the oven to 225 degrees C/437 degrees F. Bake in the center of the oven first for just 10 minutes, then at 200 degrees C/392 degrees F, untill the strudel are light brown. (Approx. 20 minutes).
Serve it hot or cold with whipped cream on top, while you are having an uncomfortable conversation with Hans Landa (from the movie Inglorious Basterds) and im sure it will be much more comfortable for both of you.
Beware, the raw dough has poor durability, it should preferably be used quite fresh, otherwise it crumbles when it is unwrapped. If purchased frozen, it must be thawed completely before it is unwrapped. Thawed dough can not be refrozen. Please be prepared to make a large portion Strudel, preferably from 3 to 4 pieces. The finished baked Strudel may be frozen (durability approx. 6 months). Don't try to make Strudeldough yourself, it is very difficult.
Check back later for more great recipes